Do you know over 45 million Americans suffer from chronic headaches? About 28 million suffer migraine attacks each year. According to the Headache Foundation report, 70% headaches occur in women. There are many reasons for headaches that mostly we ignore. After knowing the common reasons for headaches you can easily make a change in your life so as to be free from this pain forever.
- Tension: The headache caused by stress is one of the most common reasons for headache and can affect adults and adolescents. It is considered a chronic condition if it occurs 2 or more times a week. Tension headaches are caused by muscle stress in the shoulders or head.
- The abuse of painkillers: Some people use large amounts of caffeine-containing analgesics. If they stop taking it, they experience headaches related to drug withdrawal.
- Alcohol: Alcohol slows the respiratory rate, heart rate and brain function and headache can appear the next day. Usually it can appear within 10 minutes and can reach its peak in 40-60 minutes.
- Overexertion: Headaches can worse after some physical activities, such as weight lifting exercise or having sex.
- Smoking: Smoking and breathing second-hand smoke from cigarettes, cigars and pipes can cause headaches. Nicotine stimulates the vascular activity of brain and as a result causes headache.
- Emotional stress: There are certain conditions that cause emotional stress, as well as trigger headaches.
- Allergies: Some people may have headache due to allergic reactions of certain foods.
- Menstrual Period: Most of the women have headache during the time of their menstrual cycle. They experience a throbbing pain on one side of the head, nausea, vomiting, and increased sensitivity to sound and light.
- Not getting enough sleep: Often secondary headaches are a symptom of a sleep disorder. For example, tension headaches mostly seen in People with disorders insomnia or sleep-wake cycles. Nearly three quarters of people who suffer from insomnia complain of migraine or cluster headache.
What are the Treatments?
- Taking painkillers for pain relief.
- Identify the causes, learn how to relieve a headache when it occurs and take medications correctly.
- Changing in lifestyle by adopting regular exercise, avoid foods and beverages, and take balanced diet.
- Relaxation: Therapy without medication for migraine includes biofeedback and relaxation training, to help cope with or controlling the development of pain and Improve body’s response to stress.
- Getting Best Denver Chiropractor